Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 'Tim Time'

Having been raised on a farm in a big family, I tend to lean toward creating things that 'have a use'.  It took me a long time to give in to the quilting bug, because I had trouble justifying taking those expensive pieces of fabric and cutting them into little bits that just had to be sewed back together again.  :)  And I couldn't seem to wrap my head around the fact that it then took twice as much fabric because of the waste and seams.  I think the thing that finally romanced me into trying the process, was the rotary cutting and imaginary way the designers sewed the pieces together to save time and create the patterns through logical steps.   And of course, once I started working all of those colors and patterns together into gorgeous designs, I was hooked.

Years ago I took a personality test while participating in a 2 week-long training course.  I was told that the logical side of my brain was as strong as the creative side of my brain - in other words, the instructor said, I was a flake.  I think he just meant that I was different from the 'norm', or as I like to view it - special.  :)

At any rate, I like to create things with a purpose.  Things that satisfy both the logical and the creative tendencies of my personality.  So when I saw Tim's tag challenge this month and looked through my stamps I tried to envision a unique way to use the technique to create something I could use.  And this is what I came up with - it's a little book with fabric pages to store my Sewing Essentials (just like the title says).  :)

I incorporated Tim's stamping and masking techniques on the inside covers.  You can view his tutorial here.  I made the stitching on the fabric pages a little 'rough and ragged' to give it that grunge look and stained the edges of the fabric with some Antique Linen and Tea Dye Distress stains.  I also antiqued the binder ring with some Mushroom alcohol ink to give it an aged look.

 I initially did my stamping directly on the inside of the book cover.  However, the uneven surface didn't lend itself well to the background stamping and the dark color of the cover didn't allow the stamps to show up as well.

So I cut a piece of manilla card stock to fit the book cover, stained it per Tim's instructions, stamped it, masked it, stamped the background and then rubbed the whole thing with some Vintage Photo stain while the masks were in place. 







With all of that wetting and staining and drying and rubbing, sometimes the cardstock can become quite rippled and hard to work with.  It's hard to stamp on a wavy surface.  So a while back, I took a piece of masonite and coated it with a diluted mixture of Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over glue.  I had read about this glue on the internet.  People were using it to make their Silhouette cutting mats sticky again.  I couldn't find a source locally but found it at my go-to place for hard-to-find items...Amazon.  Since I purchased it I have found all sorts of uses for it including adding it to the back of rubber stamps to make them cling to an acrylic mounting block.  For most things you will want to dilute it because it has a pretty sturdy bond if used full strength.  After I coated the masonite board and let it dry, I stuck my hand to it several times to lessen the tackiness.  Now I have a temporary mounting board that can be used again and again to hold items while I stamp and stain.  This should be used for the dry techniques only - I think if you wet the cardstock too much you probably wouldn't get it to release.  For storing the board, I just put a sheet of wax paper over it and set it alongside my desk.

For the front, I used a small crocheted doily, a Tim Holtz ornate plate and brads, a small piece of muslin that I hand lettered with the title and a little quilt batting to make it dimensional.  Before putting it all together, I 'aged' the ornate plate with some Distress Paints and the muslin with some Distress Stains.











Several pics of the inside:


It was fun to create and now I have a handy way to take my favorite sewing supplies to the ol' easy chair for a little stitchin'.  Like binding those quilts...

As always, thanks for stopping and I hope you enjoyed the visit!





3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy - What a fabulous take on Tim's Tag! I'm like you - my instinct is to make something with a purpose to keep my practical side happy, but I'm forcing myself to try and be creative "just because" as I've found that that makes me even happier!

    Your sewing essentials book is brilliant - I love the concept and the style, and so clever to adapt Tim's technique. I've got to make myself a "fancy pins" book for my - well - fancy pins, my pin cushion keeps falling over under the weight! I hope you don't mind too much if I take some inspiration from you?

    Thanks for sharing your amazing drying board idea too - the perfect solution for a problem we've all had!

    Glad you caught your "little visitor" - having spent all today cleaning I think I'm catching you up!

    "See" you again soon - always a pleasure. Big hugs MMx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow This is cool! I love how you made a place for sewing things. This little book is so clever and wonderfully decorated! Thanks for stopping by and leaving sweet comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an utterly clever and gorgeous make! LOVE IT! A fantastic way to store those tiny sewing things! This would make an excellent gift too! And I would want to have one myself *lol

    Greetings from Vienna,

    die amelie x

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.