Sunday, June 30, 2013

40th Anniversary Tag

My husband and I reached a milestone this year - 40 years of marriage.  It doesn't hardly seem possible that it could be that long or we could be that old!!  :)  Time passes much too quickly.

Inspiration Emporium was having a little challenge for June called 'Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue'.  So I didn't think that I should miss the chance to make a little something to commemorate our 40th.  

I had a new embossing folder (Anne Griffin by Cuttlebug) that I wanted to try and being a little pinched for time, I decided to make a tag.  I had seen various embossed projects where the raised embossing had been highlighted with paint.  It took many attempts and a trip to the internet to figure out the best way to apply the paint so that it would highlight the embossed areas without getting on the background.  The answer was to use an ink brayer.  I squirted some ivory acrylic paint on my craft mat, rolled the ink brayer through it and then rolled over the embossed tag.  I still had problems with a little paint on the background areas, but I discovered that the roller on my brayer is not entirely even (a little flared on the ends) so there was no way to get a perfect result.  It just adds to the character - right?

After I dried the paint, I went over the entire tag with some Vintage Photo Distress Stain and then went back with a soft rag and wiped it off of the white flowers to highlight them.  The white paint acted as a resist so the stain remained on the background but wiped off of the flowers easily.  I also painted the flowers with Glimmer Glam to give them some added sparkle.

I printed the sentiment and date on some paper and tore and stained the edges.  I had a couple of large jump rings in my jewelry findings that I added some antique brass Distress Paint to and attached for wedding rings.  The edging was die cut with the Tim Holtz Vintage Lace Sizzlits Die and stained with Vintage Photo Distress Stain.  I then painted them with Glimmer Glam and curled them slightly to give them dimension.

For the number tag, I used a blank TH Enameled Tag and antiqued it with Ranger alcohol inks.  Then I added some sticker numbers and attached it with a tiny fastener.  The ribbon is some seam tape stained with Distress Stains.

We look so fresh-faced in our wedding photo.  Ahhh, to be that young again....  But the years have blessed us with kids and grandkids and many happy memories.  So cheers to us!

As always, thanks for stopping!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.